Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Trips and Things!

I just returned from a long trip (too long) that included speaking in five churches, an alumni banquet, a book signing and various networking encounters. Everything went fine and God's hand was evident in many situations. Although I did have to replace tires in York, Pennsylvania, I encountered no car issues or other problems that often occur on trips of this length.

I spent my travel time in silence (I love silence.) or listening to old cassette leadership tapes (Our car doesn't have a CD player.) and interacting with the confident voice of my Verizon phone GPS. I enjoyed the mountains of northwestern North Carolina, the farms and smells of my native Lancaster County, Pennsylvania and the fall colors and beauty of upstate New York.

Two things made the trip worth the cost and the expended energy: First, it was a joy and privilege to direct people to the Scriptures and see how God ministered to their circumstances, calmed their troubled hearts and blessed them. This took place in churches, in living rooms, in offices, in restaurants and anywhere I encountered people for more than a five minute period. Secondly, I was blessed as people rehearsed salvation experiences. At Arrowhead Christian Bookstore in Johnson City, New York while I was doing a book signing event (Actually, when I look at the sales report, it was more like a "talk to the author event" than a book signing.), a man came over and shared how his 29 year-old son had yielded his life to Christ the week before. With eyes full of tears and a crack in his voice he rehearsed a lifetime of prayer and love for his son who had now become his spiritual brother.

I noticed a pattern on my trip. Where God's Word was often referenced in conversation and there was a visible burden for the lost, the culture of the church was warm and vibrant. Where talk revolved around the church and issues, the culture was stiff and stagnant. (Just an observation.)

It was soooooo. . . good to get back to my church. I attended a men's Bible study yesterday and found it hard to leave. I can't wait until Thursday night's community group meeting and then Sunday morning (I'll soak in both services to replenish what I have been missing.) I know Clay will be "juiced" with a challenge from God's Word and a hunger to see people take their next step toward Christ.

The demons of hell must be trembling to know that we have literally etched God's promises and our purpose in granite. (You have to see our new entrance!) Satan, we are here to stay and your gates will not be able to withstand the expansion of the church that Christ is building in North Myrtle Beach.

Speaking of trips, this one we call "life" certainly has its costs and expends a lot of energy. Like my recent trip, there are several things that make it worthwhile: the encouragement of God's Word and His people, and the experience of seeing "those who were once dead in trespasses and sins being made alive in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-10

Enjoy the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.