Friday, January 18, 2008

Be Still

Man, I can't believe how this year is starting off! It seems that I do not have a moment of quiet lately. I keep saying that it is only temporary but I fear that it will become as temporary as the "temporary" fix done in home repairs that often is never completed until the house is sold.

There is so much going on and so much lying ahead that it is hard to be still. And yet, in stillness we find renewal, wisdom and strength. I know a lot of people who read this blog are caught in the same rushing currents of the river of life. I thought I would share some thoughts on taking time to be still:

Samuel told the people of God, "Now stand here quietly before the LORD as I remind you of all the great things the LORD has done for you and your ancestors. " 1 Samuel 12:7 This alone is a great reason to be still!

"But you will not even need to fight. Take your positions; then stand still and watch the LORD's victory. He is with you, O people of Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Go out there tomorrow, for the LORD is with you!" 2 Chronicles 20:17 Have any struggles you are facing tomorrow? Know it is the Lord who will deliver you, as you yield to His presence in your life and the situation.

We all know that: "God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble." Psalms 46:1 But the psalmist also says, "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalms 46:10

The story is told of two birds sitting on a tree limb, watching people anxiously scurrying to and fro. The one bird looked at the other and said, (I know birds don't talk. Bear with me.) "Why do people run around with such anxiety?" The other bird replied, "I don't know, maybe they don't have a heavenly Father to watch over them like we do." Matthew 6:24-34

Trying to be still.

1 comment:

  1. I love Samuel. He was the man. He had one advisor. The Lord our God. He would pray before speaking. He treated his words like medicine. He would measure his words before speaking to avoid giving people an overdose. Great Stuff Jim.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave a comment.