Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Besides all this . . .

Pardon me while I get a little pitiful. I'm going to go ahead and do this blog because I want to encourage anyone who is experiencing pain as a Christian leader. Check it out!

Pain can be external or internal. I have often said, "I would sooner take a physical beating than endure the emotional pain that ministry often produces." Physical wounds can be numbed and bandaged. Maybe I even like the fact that many people come to comfort and sympathize with you when you are bandaged or bruised. However, when we are bleeding inside, it often goes unnoticed.

After thirty years of ministry you would think that a person would get used to the pain of dealing with people. Surely the scars of experience should numb any new injuries. Knowledge and experience should guard a veteran's heart and prevent this pain. Paul talked about his external and internal pains as he wrestled with Christians at Corinth. He recorded this testimony:

"Five different times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled many weary miles. I have faced danger from flooded rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the stormy seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be Christians but are not. I have lived with weariness and pain and sleepless nights. Often I have been hungry and thirsty and have gone without food. Often I have shivered with cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.
Then, besides all this, I have the daily burden of how the churches are getting along. Who is weak without my feeling that weakness? Who is led astray, and I do not burn with anger? " 2 Corinthians 11:24-29

This morning I am wrestling with some of that pain. God has reminded me that He could let my heart become calloused to prevent the pain. Or I could avoid being used by Him and thus avoid the pain. When given these two options, I am able to put the pain in perspective. The Scriptures teach us that to know Christ is to experience both His power and His suffering.

I think I'll go see Rambo this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your honesty. I love those words and Paul and can identify with you, Paul and also what Pastor Clay shared this week at his sermon on loyalty. People do hurt you etc, etc. I am learning more and more to never go out without my spiritual armor and that my battles are won in the heavenly places when I pray even though I may not feel the victory down here in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think? Leave a comment.