Thursday, October 18, 2012

Living Life on the Edge


Jesus lived life on the edge.  By this I mean that he was sold out to his purpose to such a degree that he stayed steadfast in struggles, was unmovable when threatened and remained consistent and compassionate when people turned on him.   He allowed us see some of the struggles of life on the edge when he reveals his prayer as he faced his ultimate battle with the darkness of sin and death.

I have always been of the opinion that life on the edge is a great life. My daughter once said, "Hey, if you're not living on the edge, you're takin' up way too much room."  Gee, I wonder where she learned that concept.  I thought we should look at the benefits of life on the edge and the risks.

The benefits include:
1.    A much better view. You can stand back away from the edge and have people tell you what they see or you can go up to the edge and see for yourself.
2.    A breath-taking atmosphere. I've been to Niagara Falls very often and hear most of the "oooooo...'s" and "ahhhhhh's!" from edge of the canyon surrounding the falls. Most of the noise away from the edge is just about what shop or restaurant people want to go to next.
3.    A growth in confidence and peace. It seems that the longer you stay on the edge the less it bothers you.
4.    Something to tell others about. Living on the edge fills you with stories to tell those who want to know about the edge but haven't had opportunity or desire to go to the edge.
The risks:
1.    You cannot waffle while on the edge. Waffling while on the edge subjects you to a tremendous fall. Walk with Jesus.
2.    You cannot forget about where you are and become careless. Carelessness while on the edge subjects you to a tremendous fall. Spend time in the Bible.
3.    You will bother people while you are living on the edge. People who are afraid will continually urge you to move away from the edge or write you off completely as a foolish person.  Be gracious to people.

I wonder what the others in the boat thought when Peter stepped out on the edge and walked on water with Jesus.  Jonah went out on the edge when he submitted himself to being thrown overboard because he had disobeyed God and his problem was causing a problem for everyone on the boat.  Note the powerful results of his willingness to trust God and live on the edge.  Paul lived on edge and summed it up when he said:

"More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish in order that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained.  Philippians 3:8-16

The edge isn't as dangerous as rumor would have it.  It is sometimes uncomfortable, but always inspiring.  It is sometimes unpopular, but always rewarding.  It is sometimes challenging, but always worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.