Monday, March 9, 2009

Inspecting the Fruit of Ministry

I just had someone in my office discussing our small group ministry. The obvious questions were asked. How are they going? How are you training leaders? What do you mean when you say small groups may not be what you are striving for?

Yeah, I did say that. Risking a personal visit from Andy Stanley and other small group gurus, I am beginning to question the concept of organized groups with organized curriculum being the focused means of maturing Christians. There is a vast difference between doing life with other Christians and doing a small group with other Christians.

Before I go any further, let me clarify that I do believe small groups are a tool for maturing some Christians. Some people thrive in them and others see them as another night out in a contrived setting.

Back to my original statement: "Small groups may not be what we are striving for." We are looking for mature Christ followers.

It appears to me that serving with other Christians in a ministry team may have just as much influence on maturity as the traditional small group. I have also seen families and individuals "pal-up" and participate on the journey together in a way that matures them as individuals.

Sometimes we focus on parts of the plant and forget that the fruit, and all the parts, come from the root of the plant. The care we take at the root level is evident at the fruit level. The church is like a plant. Small groups, ministry teams, outreach teams, connected friendships & large group gatherings may be part of the plant (sort of like leaves, branches, buds, blooms, etc.), but the fruits of the plant are new and maturing Christ followers.

I think there are three things we do at the root level that will nurture the church and produce great, mature fruit. I'll discuss that in the next post. My questions today are: "Can we assume that a small group is where Christian maturity takes place and should we measure the fruit of the ministry by the health of our small groups?"

Maybe I am suffering from "sour grapes syndrome" because our small groups ministry is not textbook or significant when compared to the size of our church, or maybe God is showing me something.

Just Thinking. Appreciate your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave a comment.